Welcome to Tutoring @ UMD
The University is committed to the academic excellence of all students and provides a variety of tutoring resources to support student success. This page is meant to guide students to these services. Students are encouraged to seek out assistance in their courses early on in their semester. In addition to pursuing tutoring services, students should also consult their advisor for more information or assistance.
Note: *free indicates free tutoring services
- The Writing Center (1205 Tawes Hall) is located in the Department of English and provides opportunities for undergraduate students to improve writing and thinking skills in their academic work, and also in preparation for their respective careers. In a comfortable and supportive atmosphere, trained consultants with a variety of majors assist writers individually at all stages of the composing process. *free
- The Grammar Hotline can answer questions on word choice, punctuation, sentence structure, or proper citation. *free
- The Department of Mathematics and Department of Resident Life both offer math tutoring in a variety of undergraduate courses.
- Learning Assistance Service - LAS (2202 Shoemaker) supports students in developing personal and academic strategies, positive attitudes toward learning and the self, and behaviors which empower them to be successful in college and life. LAS provides academic counseling through individualized and group sessions, and also provides content area support through programs such as the Guided Study Session (GSS), Peer Assisted Learning, and the ESOL Conversation program.
- LAS workshop schedule: *free
- Learning Strategies Courses
- Math Learning Program Brochure *free
- Guided Study Session program (GSS)
- LAS Study Tables*free
- Midterm Power : Learn how to prepare for success on midterm exams and projects. For more information about Midterm Power contact the Learning Assistance Services at 301-314-7693. *free
- Schedule Crunch : Munch some snacks while you crunch your semester schedule into a one page calendar.*free
- The Office of Multi-ethnic Student Education - OMSE (1101 Hornbake Library) offers a variety of services and programs to enhance the learning experiences and promote the academic success of undergraduate students.
- OMSE Tutoring Schedule *free
- Academic Success and Tutorial Services initiative of the Academic Achievement Program (2202 Marie Mount Hall) is a resource for all students, with a specific focus on serving students in “high-risk” courses—those with historically high DWF rates. *free
- The Transitional Advising Program - TAP (1117 Hornbake Library) provides comprehensive academic advising services to currently-enrolled high-credit (60+) students moving between colleges. The TAP Coordinator will help students identify major options through career exploration and transcript analysis. *free
- The Oral Communication Center helps students with speaking assignments and hosts workshops on topics such as listening, speaking anxiety, and presentation delivery. The center is staffed by trained undergraduate peer consultants. *free
- The A. James Clark School of Engineering provides a comprehensive list of tutoring services on campus in several subjects unique to Engineering. *free
- The Keystone Center (1116 J.M. Patterson) provides academic support to engineering majors. The Center is staffed at all times with upper-level undergraduate and graduate students who can provide assistance in answering questions in fundamental engineering courses (ENES 100, 102, 220, 221 and 232 and BIOE 120). *free
- Alpha Chi Sigma Tutoring (2110A Chemistry) offers free tutoring and access to a test bank for any chemistry course up to GenChem 2. *free
- The College of Agriculture & Natural Resources Peer Mentors (0100 Symons Hall) provides students the opportunity to speak with a fellow AGNR student about course selection, registration, and 4-year plan and Benchmark development. *free
- The Department of Physics the opportunity to receive homework support through individualized and group SPS Tutoring for Physics majors (1304 Physics).*free
- The Slawsky Clinic (1214 Physics) provides physics tutoring for students on a walk-in, first-come, first-served basis. The clinic operates primarily for the 100 and 200 level physics classes. The tutors can answer additional physics questions as their time and knowledge permit. The tutors are retired professors, scientists, and engineers. *free
AGRICULTURE & NATURAL RESOURCES
- University Libraries offers assistance with library research including: electronic interlibrary loan, photocopy services, study rooms, VICTOR, and other online indexes. *free
- The University Libraries' LGBT Studies Research Guide and Tutorial contains information on resources the University Library has available to students, such as databases on LGBT topics to better support research. *free
- The LGBT Equity Center Resource Library offers over 3000 volumes of books, videos, and magazines. *free
- Campus Mentoring Big Program is sponsored by the Black Student Union and advised through the MICA Graduate Coordinator for Black Student Involvement & Advocacy. Through offering a personal relationship with an older, experienced student, as well as creating a structured and intentional experience throughout student’s first year of college, the program strives to encourage the persistence of students beyond the first and most difficult year of college. *free
- Acessibility and Disability Service (ADS) (0106 Shoemaker) provides academic support to students with a documented disability. Services include extended exam time; private space; assistive technology; computer access during an exam; enlarged print, calculator; and more.
- WiseGuy.com is a new online tutoring platform for students to connect with volunteer and private peer tutors and mentors at the University of Maryland. WiseGuy.com was founded by a group of University of Maryland alumni who wanted to help create a more collaborative and interactive learning environment for college students. As a student, it is a great way to receive homework support without having to leave your current room or workplace. Also, sign-up as a tutor to build your resume and gain recognition from faculty and potential employers. Register today to receive support or become a tutor. *free